News:

Did you sleep well? No, I made a few mistakes. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Twin hurricanes at sea in Sharing 516

Started by sunlight, August 23, 2020, 03:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roscoe

Y'all got quiet. Made it through another day, thank God. Had to spend money I had no intention to- Lou's phone went wonky. Wound up buying us new phones. I guess it was time- we had S7 Galaxy phones. For comparison our new phones are S21+. LOL. Old ones were probably 4,5 years old.  Was going to eat of the Apple and go iphone until I was told that to do so would net me a $350 trade in allowance each- but if I stayed Android, Samsung would give me $800 each. Easy choice- our new phones will wind up costing us a bit over $200 each.
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Nelle

@Work. It's Friday! I may be working tomorrow though... but on my own schedule... so.. still yay.

Backseat Radio

I've been too sidetracked lately to be on here much. Been getting out walking in the morning since it's warming up some. I downgraded to a flip phone. Still have my old smartphone but only use it at work as a scanner and for lunch entertainment to block out the junk playing on the breakroom tv. My sim card is in the flip phone.

Roscoe

Hi. Did some cruising in Sam the '52 today. Did some more research on the shop. Laying here now, listening to southern gospel, musing about tomorrow's sermon. Ready for rainy season to go away.
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Lynx

Quote from: Backseat Radio on February 27, 2021, 09:51:12 PMI've been too sidetracked lately to be on here much. Been getting out walking in the morning since it's warming up some. I downgraded to a flip phone. Still have my old smartphone but only use it at work as a scanner and for lunch entertainment to block out the junk playing on the breakroom tv. My sim card is in the flip phone.
Interesting choice. I don't know of many who would get used to a smartphone, then deliberately give up the convenience.

My uncle Fred was still rocking his Galaxy S6 (with a case that keeps it charged... old battery y'know) until last December when he got a CAT phone. Don't remember the model. Those things are supposed to be almost indestructible, and he's a welder.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

The Purple Fuzzy

My dad still has a flip phone. It drives me crazy because he'll want me to do something on it for him and I have no clue. It is NOT user friendly.

Lynx

Yeah my grandmother still uses a flip phone. But somebody going from a smartphone to a flip phone is... well this is the first time I've ever heard of it. It would be like me giving away all my thinkpads and switching to a TI graphing calculator.

BSR I would be very interested in your motivation. Did it become too intrusive in your life? Or did you just never like it and always merely tolerated it?
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Nelle

@Work. Had a checkup this morning. No holter info back yet but they called to check on it. Did some followup bloodwork to check my WBC again. I'm feeling pretty good otherwise.

Backseat Radio

My motivation for going back to a flip phone is as follows...

1. Internet addiction that needed to go. I gave up home internet for the same reason

2. Not getting good sleep when I was always on my smartphone. I'd sleep through multiple alarms.

3. A case of cubital tunnel that these huge modern smartphones just agrivates.

Yes it was a learning curve going back to a dumb phone.

Lynx

Ah thank you!

Most of those were exactly the reasons I sold my PlayStation 2 back in the day.
"Do you sing at church?"

Backseat Radio

Its becoming harder for those of us who don't want internet controlling our life. Almost all of the cell phone plans now require internet and modern flip phones that run the KaiOS system have apps like YouTube and Facebook which means true addicts still get sucked into the internet vortex.

Roscoe

Lynx

Quote from: Backseat Radio on March 01, 2021, 09:32:56 PMIts becoming harder for those of us who don't want internet controlling our life. Almost all of the cell phone plans now require internet and modern flip phones that run the KaiOS system have apps like YouTube and Facebook which means true addicts still get sucked into the internet vortex.
There's always landline phone plus a pocket pager for when you're on the road and somebody needs to get in touch with you.

Yeah. Pocket pagers. People still use them, believe it or not.

If you have a home phone, there's no way at all to get online. And if you're out of the house and get an alert from your pager, you can borrow a phone. You'll DEFINITELY get funny looks, because "Who doesn't have a phone these days?" But it might be worth it.

It will be two separate phone bills though...
"Do you sing at church?"

Backseat Radio

Sometimes I have to use my smartphone as a scanner at work since a Walmart supplied hand scanner isn't always available. Though about seeing if I could load the Walmart BYOD setup on an ipod touch and completely getting rid of my smartphone to eliminate the temptation to just pop my sim card back into the smartphone. Plus the ipod would allow me to listen to the podcasts that I like and still chat with all of you guys from work wifi.

Nelle

@Work.

I didn't work Saturday... but I kinda already figured I wouldn't want to. Now I am spending yesterday and today playing catch up in place of Saturday. I've gotten a lot done, but I still have quite a bit to go. CPAs arrive tomorrow morning at 8am for the audit! Thankfully we really like this firm and they're all very good to work with. It's a bit like having three extra coworkers for two days to tease and make them eat your snacks, haha. I should've been Italian..

Checkup went well yesterday. She redid my blood work to check on my white blood cell count from last time. It has pretty much gone back to normal, but my platelets were elevated - inflammation she said. They'll check it again in a few months. No word on holter yet, but I'm sure it's being chased down. Hopefully they find it so I won't have to do it again. LOL.

I need a nap. I worked until almost 9pm last night and slept HARD straight thru the night until 6am today. I'm not sure how late I'll stay tonight.

Roscoe

Internet is such an integral part of society now, it's hard to consider not having it. But sometimes- it'd be nice.

Got good news today. Our office will be fully staffed and trained Monday. They hired a former officer back, so she doesn't have to be trained. This means I go from 200+ on my caseload to half of that or less. Maybe some of my stress will leave too.

And I'm ready for Spring Break.

The Purple Fuzzy

Lynx

Sorry to hear that Bobby. We'll see if we can help with adding some stress back.
"Do you sing at church?"

Backseat Radio

I agree not having internet is a bit tough now days. Thankfully the area I live in the library, just about every restaurant, and even Walmart has free wifi available so I still have some access for what I'd actually need it for. Currently using Wal-Marts wifi.

Roscoe

@ Lynx. Do NOT think about adding stress. :pound:

Man, my income tax refund is already gone. Sheesh. It went like water. :pound: But it paid off some stuff, and bought meat for the year....

MsJennJenn

I havent even started on my taxes yet.

Mom moved out this past weekend. SO happy to get my space back. My mental state has already improved drastically.
 "When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

The Purple Fuzzy

It's hard to share your personal space when you get used to having it to yourself. No matter how much you love them. ;)

Lynx

Quote from: Roscoe on March 03, 2021, 06:25:50 PMMan, my income tax refund is already gone. Sheesh. It went like water. :pound: But it paid off some stuff, and bought meat for the year....
Meat for the YEAR?! Wow.

And we know how you like meat, so... double wowow!
"Do you sing at church?"

Nelle

@Work. Audit Day #2. Going pretty well.

I did wake up with a headache and stuffy nose today, but the windows had been open all day in the nice weather yesterday (at home) and then we didn't turn the heat back on last night. Woke up to a chilly house, haha.

I'm hungry. It's also National Snack Day apparently.

I have not started my taxes either. I need to start though because they're due next month which means I need to make sure I don't owe a huge amount LOL.

The Purple Fuzzy

I need to do my taxes and get it over with.  Blah