News:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Sad NEWS! R.I.P. Newsman aka John Yates

Started by Scott, December 10, 2016, 10:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

McAlester News-Capital

We have some tragic news to report -- longtime McAlester journalist John Yates has passed away.
Pittsburg County Sheriff Joel Kerns said John was found in his home in Savanna today. It appears he passed away of natural causes.

It is with a very heavy heart we bring you this information -- John was a dear friend of the McAlester News-Capital. A wonderful, caring, generous man who gave back to his community at every turn. We will miss you John.
The News-Capital will produce a full tribute to John appearing in Tuesday.

Roscoe made a few calls...

Quoteit is true. He didn't show up  for a ball game he was scheduled to broadcast and the radio station called the police to check on him. They went in and found him passed away. I just talked to bro price , and he confirmed it and will let me know of arrangements.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing." (Vader)

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Scott

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf (Orwell and Churchhill)

The Never Ending Battle

Roscoe

So hard to see. I have few true friends, and John was one of them. I looked forward to he, Mini and I having our usual shut down the buffet meeting soon. He called me a few months ago, and he was going to stop by the house for dinner. He called just before we were planning on meeting and told me he didn't feel good and was going home. I already miss him...
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

Scott

I am so sorry that I broke the news via facebook messenger. I should have made a facebook phone call to you, but I am dealing with Pneumonia right now.

Sorry Bro.

The Never Ending Battle

sunlight

:attackhug: Be full of hugs!

Roscoe

Quote from: Scott on December 11, 2016, 12:18:21 AMI am so sorry that I broke the news via facebook messenger. I should have made a facebook phone call to you, but I am dealing with Pneumonia right now.

Sorry Bro.
No problem,brother. My internet really isn't fast enough for fb phone anyway, and my actual cell phone isn't much better. I appreciate you letting me know.
Potstirrer and snoop extraordinaire   "I have friends in overalls whose friendship I would not swap for the favor of the kings of the world."- Thomas Edison

The Purple Fuzzy

The Purple Fuzzy

I met John at the Oklahoma meetup. He's stayed at our place when he had business in Texas. It just doesn't seem real. :(

Chseeads

It seems so odd when somebody passes away unexpectedly.  You see them posting on FB as usual and the next thing you know they're gone. 

Roscoe

MsJennJenn

"When a flower doesn't bloom, you fix the environment in which it grows, not the flower."
-Alexander Den Heijer-
"When I wait, you strengthen my heart."
-Psalms 27:14-
:shine:

The Purple Fuzzy

Per Chris Trainor on FB:  Funeral services for John Yates will be held on Friday, December 16, 2016 at 10:00 am at S. Arch Thompson Auditorium with Pastor Joel Price Officiating. Burial will follow at Allen Cemetery under the direction of Brumley-Mills Funeral Home of McAlester.

DoActs238

I was very shocked and sadden to hear of Sr John's passing. I am going to miss his humor.

Roscoe

Unfortunately, due to the holidays and work issues, I won't be able to go over for the funeral.  I was hoping it would be on Saturday, not Friday. All I can say is at least John knew I considered him my brother. Mini and I will have to make a trip over to visit his grave when the weather is better and time allows.

Nelle

DoActs238

John Anglin Yates, 52, of Savanna, passed away on Saturday December 10, 2016 at his home.
Funeral services will be held at 10 a.m. Friday, December 16, 2016, at S. Arch Thompson Auditorium with Pastor Joel Price officiating. Burial will follow at Sitra Cemetery near Allen, Oklahoma. Funeral arrangements are under the direction of Brumley-Mills Funeral Home of McAlester.
John was born on October 31, 1964, in Coalgate to Lee Anglin and Jane Lou (Blazer) Yates. He grew up in Savanna and graduated from Savanna High School in 1982. John played in the Savanna High School band where he was an All-State tuba player. After high school John attended Southeastern Oklahoma State University in Durant where he earned a degree in Military History and Communications. It is there that John started his broadcasting career, working as a DJ at the local radio station. He graduated from Southeastern in 1987 after serving as President of the Student Senate. John went to work at KNED in 1988 and has been there ever since. His main duty there was sports broadcasting, where he called the majority of McAlester High School athletic events that were broadcast on the radio. He had won numerous journalistic awards for his radio work and newspaper articles over the years. He was also a regular contributor of articles with the McAlester News-Capital. John developed an interest in Taekwondo Karate as a young boy and recently earned his Purple Belt. He also enjoyed fishing and touring Civil War battlegrounds and World War II monuments. John was quick to laugh and found interest in most everyone he met and was a long-time Republican. John was a life long member and lay minister with the Apostolic Church of McAlester.
Survivors include two sisters, Karen Sue Smith and Sharon Ann Yates, both of Holdenville; niece, Brandy Lee (Smith) Eversole; two great nieces, Ashley and Katie; one great nephew, Hayden Wesley Eversole; cousins, Darla Jo and David Wayne Byrd, Donna and Gene Boiles, and Roy D. and Linda Byrd.
He was preceded in death by his parents and a brother, David Lee Yates.
Pallbearers will be Lee Anderson, Phillip Anderson and David Timmons. Honorary pallbearer will be Senator Jim Inhofe.
- See more at: http://obituaries.mcalesternews.com/story/john-yates-1964-2016-855269532#sthash.PlrfkZfH.dpuf

taco_harvell

I still look for his Christmas updates on Facebook. :(
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/