News:

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. -Steven Wright

Main Menu

Sunday school questions. These should be easy for you guys right?

Started by sunlight, February 11, 2016, 03:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunlight

So somehow a few years ago I got roped into teaching the Jr. High Sunday school class with my sister in law. First disclaimer: this is not going to be your normal Sunday school type class because I am not capable of following a curriculum that is repetitive year after year and things that do not give them the tools needed to survive on their own. Second disclaimer: I've never done his before. Give me some slack. Third disclaimer: I really value the input that I am expecting from you guys on these questions... Especially from those who enjoy a good discussion and can help me learn @Roscoe @Chseeads @mom @allthosewhoirealizeidontknowyourofficialnameonheretotagyou

So the format of our class... Any question can be asked... But it has to be answered with proof from the bible. All students are instructed on how to use the concordance their first time in class... And get tons of help as long as they are trying. We also have going on right now to encourage bible reading and learning books of the bible.

So the purpose of this long post... Some of the questions I have brought up to the class have come up with answers that either surprise me or impress me, or I feel I have incomplete answers to, and I was curious to see what your input was. Will post the lessons separately so I can tell what the answers are referring to.
  :attackhug: Be full of hugs!

sunlight

So here was the most recent question:

Question: does the bible have to mention something more than once to make it established?

What our class found: we ended up with three different sections in our answers... 1) And it seemed that when God was doing it- it only took speaking it once for it to be established... Example: He said let there be light and there was.

2) when God was talking to humans: he often repeated himself because the human didn't understand, or totally disregarded what was said... Was not usually in a good manner... Exception being when Samuel was called to three times until he realized it was God speaking and not Eli.

3) when it is human to human- there must be an accusation from more than one person to make it established...

There was so much discussion on this one that was amazing, but my brain is not amazing, and I can't recall it enough to type it out yet.
Input? Agree? Disagree with what the kids found?

sunlight

some future questions that I have been pondering:

Question: is prayerlessness a sin?
Subquestions that will come up in class...
What are some examples in the bible of people who did pray? What was their life like?
Who are some examples of people in the bible who didn't pray? The difference?
Did the Israelites know how to pray? Did they pray? Does prayer lead to consistency?

Lynx

About the Bible mentioning something twice: God often sends a message more than once. That doesn't mean He has to. But if something is only mentioned once you should be very careful to read it IN CONTEXT before you base doctrine on it.

About prayerlessness (what a word!) you might include another subquestion: WHY did Daniel continue praying at the risk of his life?
And I don't think you'll find an example of someone who didn't pray - I can't recall anywhere the Bible states that someone didn't pray. But the Israelites neglected to ask God's advice and got fooled by the people they were supposed to be driving out.
"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."
:sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing: :sing:

sunlight

I obviously don't know the answers to these questions yet... But Did Jezebel? Did Sampson other than when he repented and asked for strength once again? Did king Saul pray after he was rejected? Before he was rejected?

Is there anyone specifically mentioned for their prayer life? I can think of Cornelius... And Daniel. I'm sure there are more...

Lynx

"Do you sing at church?"
"Yes I sing at church, I sing at home, at work, in the car, at the supermarket, at Wal-Mart..."

Lynx

Now that I'm at a real computer with a real esword I can give Bible chapters for that.

Israel didn't ask God's advice, so they were fooled by the Gibeonites.
Joshua chapter 9, specifically verse 14: "And the men took of their victuals, and asked not counsel at the mouth of the Lord."

An example of David asking God's advice in battle.
II Samuel chapter 5, starting at verse 19.
"Do you sing at church?"

taco_harvell

Judges says in many places ''they all did what was right in their own eyes'' it was usually BAD. They used their own minds. GOD will go to strong measures to get his people to pray;

2 Chronicles 7:14King James Version (KJV)

14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

They probably know this Verse get them to read the one before it and figure out who is talking!
In love with RainbowJingles

http://lessonsintrust.blogspot.com/

sunlight

Another future topic:

What does the bible say about obediance? Does the following statement line up with what the bible says?

"being saved boils down to one issue... To obey or to disobey"

Lynx

*Lynx whispers "I think she's trying to get us to make her lesson for her." ;)

Only thing that comes to mind right now is the obvious - To obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.
"Do you sing at church?"

taco_harvell

Quote from: sunlight on February 21, 2016, 07:57:54 PMAnother future topic:

What does the bible say about obediance? Does the following statement line up with what the bible says?

"being saved boils down to one issue... To obey or to disobey"

Who said ''if you love ME keep my commandments''?

It all boils down to obey or rebel.

1 SAMUEL 15:22 And Samuel said, Hath the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.

23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the Lord, he hath also rejected thee from being king.

Adam and Eve lost the Garden because they didn't obey.

The children of Israel watched a generation die walking in circles in the Wilderness.

Moses lost the promise land.

Samson went into bondage.

Saul lost his kingship.

taco_harvell

Also consider ''thy will be done'' is pretty early in the way he taught the disciples to pray. When we honestly pray that, we're choosing to obey HIS choices not ours.

taco_harvell

Also read Deuteronomy 28 and see how the focus was if they would obey or disobey.

Now that's enough for 2 lessons without even bringing up Jonah.

Lynx

Let's not get into Jonah. Jonah was depressing. Even at the end he didn't comprehend the whole "God is not willing that any should perish" thing. (At least it's not recorded... but then if he didn't finally get it, who wrote the book of Jonah?)

You might also get into WHY obedience is important. Why does God tell us to do or avoid doing certain things? Also I would point out in the garden of Eden they only had one "Thou shalt not" to obey. And about obeying things we don't understand, you could mention the dietary laws in the OT. They never did fully understand why they shouldn't eat pork, and - having no microscopes at hand - they wouldn't have understood even if God had explained it.

"Do you sing at church?"

taco_harvell

sunlight

Quote from: Lynx on February 21, 2016, 11:16:00 PM*Lynx whispers "I think she's trying to get us to make her lesson for her." ;)

Only thing that comes to mind right now is the obvious - To obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.

Lol! Or trying to make sure I remember all these random topics for when it actually comes time to use them! I really do enjoy reading yalls input though. It makes me think more when it doesn't all come from my brain.

Another question we are going to go over eventually: what does the bible say to support or disprove once saved always saved?
(And the reason it came up... We have an evangelist preaching a revival for us right now and he was going over baptism, and touched on how the Israelite going through the Red Sea was a type/foreshadow/whateveritscalled of baptism.
From there my brain went on to after that they had he rock that had the living water come out of it... Possibly a type/whateveritscalled of the Holy Ghost? And then from there they got right to the border of the promised land and yet in the next 40 yrs a whole generation died out never obtaining what they were going after.

taco_harvell

Matthew 7:21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

24Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: 25And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock. 26And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: 27And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

I go to JESUS own words for once saved always saved. You can also go to where Paul talked about those who turn away. Also Rev 21 makes it clear no sinner will make it to heaven.

taco_harvell

Many say the ''Promise Land'' is a type and shadow of Heaven, however consider this will we have to fight for our right to heaven? I believe the Promise Land was a type and shadow of the Promise ''the HOLY GHOST''. We still battle daily with the flesh after the HOLY GHOST. We don't have any battles in Heaven.

sunlight

So they had to fight to get in Canaan like we fight for the Holy Ghost... And just like the Israelites didn't value what they had and lost it by turning to other gods, we can lose the Holy Ghost?